So, you have decided to make your own marijuana oil right at home, there are lots of ways to do this but first do you have your weed ready? Try getting some at Sonoma Marijuana Seeds! We offer not only high quality but potent seeds to choose from. Once you got your weed ready, it’s time to make those oils for your edibles!
Marijuana oil, also known as canna-oil is often used in various marijuana-based recipes. THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana is fat-soluble, which means that once infused in oils, it bonds itself to food molecules giving that weed recipe the potent high which we are all accustomed to.
What Kind of Oil is Used?
Any kind of edible oil may be used. But it will all depend on what you will be using the oil for. Neutral oils like grapeseed, vegetable, or canola are versatile edible oils which can be used in almost any recipe. If you want more flavor to your oil, then extra virgin or regular olive oil is another option. You can use whatever you prefer.
How to Make Canna Oil in 6 Easy Steps
Before we start, prepare a ratio of 1 cup of cannabis trimmings or flowers to 1 cup oil of your choice. There is no need to use top quality marijuana as the terpenes will be burnt out in the process of making edibles.
- Protective equipment
- Rimmed baking tray
- Baking sheet
- Double boiler
- Break the cannabis trimmings and flowers into small pieces, e careful not to break them too small as the trichomes may be damaged by breaking it into tiny little pieces.
- Lie the rimmed baking tray with baking paper or parchment paper to prevent the weed to burn from direct contact with the baking tray. Place the tray inside a preheated oven at 240 degrees Fahrenheit ( 115 to 120 degrees C). Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remember to stir every 10 minutes or so to evenly bake the weed ( the process of decarboxylation).
- After 40 minutes, take the tray out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, inspect the cannabis to check if this has been baked properly and evenly. Observe the coloration of the baked weed and they should appear darker in color than the original green color. Somewhat light brown and yellowish
- Once cooled, place the baked weed in an airtight container to be used soon.
- If you want to proceed with making oil after baking the weed, you may do so. Just combine the ratio of 1 cup baked weed to 1 cup oil of your choice. Using a double boiler, place the cannabis mixture in and boil for 6 to 8 hours in low heat. Stir the mixture occasionally. Be mindful of the temperature of the oil mixture as this should never exceed 245 degrees F or 118 degrees C.
- After 6 to 8 hours, let your mixture cool a bit and you may then strain the canna oil through a cheesecloth to get rid of the plant materials. What you get is pure cannabis oil. We would suggest placing the il in airtight vials or mason jars for future use.
Now that your cannabis il is ready for use. You could either store them for use later or you may start concocting those desired cannabis recipes! These oils could be homemade tinctures you may use and directly apply under the tongue for fast effects. They can be also used as a topical salve or may add a few drops to your team. Any way you use your canna oil, be proud of your achievement as you have already made your oil which you may enjoy anytime you wish to!